GMO’s are lurking everywhere. They are popping up in places they shouldn’t be and are in foods we wouldn’t dream they would be.
Like these chocolate chip cookies from the restaurant, Sweet Tomatoes.
Grandma’s favorite place to eat is at Sweet Tomatoes– it’s like a buffet style salad bar with soups, pizzas and other food. Since I don’t eat out much, I try not to worry about all the not-so-good food I eat when I do make it out into the civilized world. There is already way too much in life to worry about any way!
As we made our way through the salad buffet, piling up all sorts of veggies, and walking to the cash register I noticed some chocolate chip cookies that said they were “Baked Fresh Today!”
Since I have somewhat of a sweet tooth, I was curious.
I’m always curious when it comes to what type of ingredients are in food.
Who woulda thunk that GMO’s were casually included in the “Baked Fresh Today!” cookies?
Check out the ingredient label —
Can you spot the GMO ingredients?
- vegetable mono & diglycerides
- citric acid (possible GM contamination)
- sugar (read more about that here)
- eggs (this is because the chickens may be eating GMO chicken feed)
Crazy right? This just goes to show that you literally cannot trust any product labeling without turning the package over to see what is in them.
For store-bought versions, if possible, it’s best to look and choose for cookies that have the Non-GMO Project Verified symbol or cookies made with organic ingredients. Even if they are organic or have the Non-GMO stamp on them, choose cookies that do not use industrialized oils like canola, corn, vegetable or soy. These oils, GMO or not, are not meant for our bodies to consume and are unhealthy.
I really enjoy the chocolate Jovial cookies or their checker box cookies. Actually, as a matter of fact, I love their ginger cookies too.
Can you tell they make good cookies? 🙂
Homemade chocolate chip cookies are an even better way of satisfying your sweet tooth but having complete control of ingredients. And no, I’m not talking about the ones in those cans! Made completely from scratch, you can customize your cookie to whatever way you like.
Below, I’ve included some of my favorite cookie recipes. Because I love homemade cookies. And I’m sure you do too!
- chocolate coconut chunk cookies by homegrown and healthy
- soaked chewy chocolate chip cookies by live simply
- dark chocolate and sea salt pumpkin cookies by with food and love
- 20 minute oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies by red and honey
- the best chocolate chip cookie ever by don’t waste the crumbs
- chocolate chip oatmeal pecan cookies with orange zest glaze by the organic kitchen
- pillow cookies by real food carolyn
- almond joy cookies by girl meets nourishment
- vanishing oatmeal chocolate chip cookies by don’t waste the crumbs
- chocolate chip cookie with coconut flour by fresh bites daily
Want to learn more about GMOs? Check out my new eBook!
Click here or on the photo to buy your copy!