I got a brand spanking new Excalibur 9-tray dehydrator with the automatic timer for my birthday — heaven.
Needless to say, I’ve been on a “let’s-see-what-I-can-dehydrate-next” kick. *big smile* Who could blame me!? I’ve been dreeeeaming about having one for a long time. So, as you can imagine when I opened my spice cabinet and realized I had no more onion powder, I totally jumped on the opportunity to make my own onion powder.
Making your own onion powder is so ridiculously easy that for a moment I considered not even posting it. That thought did not last very long because I love sharing things with you! Plus, I’m so stinkin’ excited about my dehydrator that I had to share. Any hoo, here it is… the ridiculously easy homemade onion powder recipe!
- Dehydrator (this is the one I have)
- Food processor or coffee grinder
- Recycled spice jar or air tight container or these plain spice jars
- 4 small onions
- Cut the ends off the onions and remove outer layers (save in a freezer bag to use for homemade stock!)
- Chop onions or slice using a mandolin in uniform slices about ¼ inch thick
- Place on dehydrator sheets
- Set temperature for 150° and dehydrate for 6-8 hours or until brittle
- Once they are brittle to touch, remove from trays and place inside a coffee grinder or food processor and blend well
- Place in your recycled spice jar or some kind of air tight container