Simple Ham & Cheese Omelet Cooked in Basil Butter
This is a continuation of the basil butter story. You can read that by clicking here.
…. Then, a light bulb lit up in her head. She knew exactly what would taste amazing cooked up in some basil butter: omelets.
She tried to make one and although it tasted better than she thought, it was absolutely not photo worthy for her blog. Don’t tell anyone that was her very first time making an omelet, although I am pretty sure once anyone sees the photo they will be able to know.
Scrambled eggs? Psssh, easy peasy.
Omelets? Different story. As you can tell from the photo below….
Yikes, right?? At least it was edible!
So, she thought, and thought, and thought some more. She could watch YouTube and try and learn how to make an omelet but ain’t nobody got time for that! She suddenly realized her hubby knew how to make omelets.
She nicely coaxed her hubby to make her an omelet so she could photograph it and told him to make an extra so he could eat his and she could photograph hers (you know, because that’s what food bloggers do).
They went with a simple ham & cheese omelet cooked in the homemade basil butter because who doesn’t love simple? In their home, recipes need to be simple so they can be cooked without fail when a hungry, screaming toddler is at their feet.
Luckily, their toddler was at Grandma’s house.
This recipe sticks-to-your-ribs and tastes really good especially when organic sour cream and avocados top it. YUM!
This omelet makes enough for one hungry person if no other foods are being consumed at the time. If you have a side to accompany the omelet like hashbrowns, potatoes or bacon, one omelet may suffice for two people.
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 slice of ham, chopped (I like Applegate brand)
- handful of organic shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons yellow onion, diced small
- 1-2 tablespoons basil butter (learn how to make it here)
- 2 tablespoons regular butter
- unrefined salt and pepper to taste
- avocado and organic sour cream, optional (but totally recommended)
- In a large pan, over medium heat, add basil butter and 1 tablespoon regular butter to pan. With a spatula, mix butters together so it is evenly spread out on the pan. In a separate bowl, whisk together 2 eggs and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a smaller pan, add the last tablespoon of regular butter and saute ham and onion until fragrant and somewhat browned; set aside when done.
- Pour egg mixture into pan and let cook for a few minutes until the sides of the omelet look cooked (about 5 minutes). Add in onion-ham mixture and handful of cheese. Flip over one side and cook for a few minutes. Completely flip the omelet so the top side can brown; cook for a minute or so.
- When complete, add sour cream and avocado and make sure to eat while warm so you can enjoy the ooey-gooey-melty cheese.